[clue-tech] Using Xen to run a VM with a different date?

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Thu Mar 12 11:12:06 MDT 2009

Are we talking about the value returned by time(2) or are we talking about
an arbitrary offset from time(2) used as the local timezone.  the tzfile
format permits for some very screwy timezone trickery.

Setting time(2) using the date(1) command works well as long as the guest OS
is not configured to synch from an external clock. Note that most modern
linuxes attempt to set their local clock from some external master at
boot.   Also note that guest OS "hardware" clocks are not dependable and
time drift sets in quickly.

http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm
man zic