[clue-tech] Does hibernate ruin running optical readers? (DVD or CD rom)

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 12:06:03 MDT 2009

For about the past 5 or 6 years, I have had a habit of watching videos
on my computer in my room as I'm falling asleep.  I set the machine to
power down, or hibernate after a given amount of time.  The first
computer I did this with, the DVD-rom started having problems after a
while, and I suspected it might have something to do with it.  But since
that device was already pretty old, I thought nothing of it.

Now, after having my current machine for about 4 years, and doing the
same thing, I can't burn discs anymore.  And there are too many failures
on different discs to regard it as the disc.  The drive sort of
deteriorates gradually.  For the past couple of years it simply couldn't
verify what it had written half the time.  Now it really seems unable to
burn anything most of the time.

So I guess my question is:  does anyone know if abruptly halting the
machine with a spinning disc in it over and over again (it's happened
over 1000 times by now) damage the optical device?

Angelo