[clue-tech] Installfest hotwash, 090321.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 21 18:08:21 MDT 2009

We had a really good installfest today.  14 people came and we seemed to
have enough helpers for the projects that needed help.

David Willson did the Free (as in freedom) lunch again, with a great
explanation that demonstrated how Free software works using pizza.

I worked on making a bootable thumb drive with unetbootin but didn't get
it to boot on my laptop or a DeVry box.  Zach got it to work on his
laptop so maybe some BIOSs are more finicky, or I was doing something
wrong.  I'll keep working on it.

I saw projects on wine, CIFS (using PAM for automounting, gutsy), and
MythTV.  Zach had an embedded board that looked cool.  Wasn't doing
anything yet but it was laid out so you could see all the parts.

Aaron is teaching himself xen (good stuff to know, my office is starting
to think about that).  He moved his LVM and boot partitions to RAID-1,
pretty easy[1].  But update-initramfs didn't pick up the md modules so
it wouldn't boot.  Luckily it was easy to fix from the Ubuntu live CD,
even if he had to learn more about how Linux boots than he wanted.  I
really enjoyed working with someone who was interested in digging up
answers rather than just re-installing.

All in all a great way to spend the first Saturday of spring.  And DeVry
didn't kick us out by 3pm when things wound down so that's nice to know
for those who can't come out first thing in the morning.

Dave

  1)
http://www.howtoforge.com/set-up-raid1-on-a-running-lvm-system-debian-etch