[clue-tech] How to boot up Kubuntu and start a network connection...

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 28 20:14:03 MDT 2009

Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> Can someone point me to a recipe for starting a wireless network
> connection for my home network when booting up?  I would like the
> network connection up an running when before I login to KDE.

I use wpa-supplicant directly.  You probably already have it since it's
used underneath NM.  To me the directions in:

/usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/README.Debian.gz

are clear enough (I use roaming mode).

This does what you'd expect and brings the network up on boot (well,
maybe it's when the driver loads, but it looks the same).

There are other network configurators out there.  Collins likes one (you
can find the name in the archives), and Sean R at tummy.com has written
one in python.  But I don't know whether they work at boot or at login.