[clue-tech] Music library player/manager on Linux?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Mar 29 09:33:08 MDT 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 13:40:19 -0700 (PDT)
Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:

> Also, what is the easiest method for converting .wav to .flac or other
> lossless audio format?

For me, it was easiest to write a Perl script. But then I tend to not
like fiddling with GUIs.

Not sure why you care about lossless, since 44kHz, 16-bit .wav is already
lossy, compared to analog. A high-Q Ogg vorbis will be indistinguishable
from .wav.

If you don't care about tags, you can do something simple like:

ls *wav | awk '{
printf ("oggenc --quality=8 -o %s %s\n",gensub("wav$","ogg",1,$1),$1)
}' | sh

But try it without the | sh first, to see what it'll do. I'm not 100%
certain that the "wav$" will result in replacing wav with ogg only at
then end of the filename -- i.e. will "wavy_pudding.wav" result in
"oggy_pudding.ogg".

I don't know why Amarok is ignoring .wav files. Yeah, it does seem odd.

jed