[clue-tech] Proper files storage etiquette?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Mar 29 18:34:29 MDT 2009

Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> Folks,
>
> These files are for all users of the laptop to use.  Where should I
> stick the directory?  In /home? Or something like /usr/local?
> Another location?

I'd suggest against /usr/local.  /home works.  I've used /srv when the
machine was primarily for sharing those files.  You could justify it for
this too, especially if you want shared files to be on a different
partition for some reason.

I used /home/share to keep files of interest to two users.  I put the
directory in group users and made it setgid.  Then the users can use a
umask of 002 to make those files writeable by all.

Debian's method is for a user's primary group to match the user name.
So a umask of 2 doesn't give away any secrets if used for personal
files.  setgid on the directory makes files created there belong to the
group users.

No doubt selinux and acls could do fancier things but there's a learning
curve there...