[clue-tech] Proper files storage etiquette?

Adrian F. Nagle, IV anagle at naglenet.org
Sun Mar 29 20:18:55 MDT 2009

Thank you Dave and Jed.

Of course I can always do what I want, but I've learned there is also good practice.  I don't want to stick a bunch of data that might pose issues when managing my installation (permissions, moving files, updating, etc.).  I currently have the data in /laptop, but I probably will move that to /home/laptop or /home/share so no one needs to be in the root directory.

> From: Jed S. Baer <cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net>
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest against /usr/local.  /home works.  I've used /srv when the
> > machine was primarily for sharing those files.  You could justify it
> > for this too, especially if you want shared files to be on a different
> > partition for some reason.
>
> Or, you could not worry about whatever the FHS says (or your document of
> choice), and have some fun with it, since it doesn't really matter.
>
> I'd name it ...
>
>   /ralph

Adrian
Adrian Nagle ~ anagle at naglenet.org