[clue-tech] Proper files storage etiquette?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Mar 29 22:24:18 MDT 2009

Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> Thank you Dave and Jed.
>
> Of course I can always do what I want, but I've learned there is also
> good practice.  I don't want to stick a bunch of data that might pose
> issues when managing my installation (permissions, moving files,
> updating, etc.).  I currently have the data in /laptop, but I
> probably will move that to /home/laptop or /home/share so no one
> needs to be in the root directory.

I think your only concern here is how "usual" you make it.  Sysadmins
will expect things to be "sensible", but beyond that it really doesn't
matter.

The FHS tries to standardize things in a way that makes sense.  For some
different parts of the file system get mounted with different settings.
  In order for that to be easy you want similar things grouped together.
  So you'd rather not have programs in /var, nor changing data in /usr.
  You might like to mount / as read-only (except when doing upgrades).

So you can certainly do what you want.  There is a reason behind what
the FHS says, even though you probably don't care much about it.  But
the FHS is fairly readable if you want to see what it says:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/