[clue-tech] Need lots of help at Installfest

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri May 15 16:42:08 MDT 2009

David L. Willson wrote:
> I'm bringing a challenge, too.  My project is to get RHEL3 running on
>  a brandy new laptop.

Good luck.  Does it have any drivers that you'll need?  You'd probably
have better luck running RHEL3 in a VM.

> On your topic, why don't you want to re-install?  I've found
> re-installations of Linux refreshing, helpful, and relatively
> painless.  Of course, it does depend on how careful I was to document
> system changes and link important config files to my home-folder.

I get more out of figuring out the real problem than skipping it by
re-installing.  The nice thing about Linux is that it's transparent
enough that you can usually find the real cause and fix it.  And that
makes it easier next time.  (Except for audio.  Audio is a beast of its
own and when it breaks you just have to wait for it to molt and be happy
again.)