[clue-tech] Install Ubuntu distro on IBM Thinkpad A31 and if possible damn small linux on a Toshiba Libretto 110ct

Angel Garcia angeljr.garcia at gmail.com
Fri May 15 16:58:23 MDT 2009

I would like to start by saying that I am a newbie in Linux. I know some
commands, but am nowhere near being comfortable in the terminal with Linux.
Having said that. I have an IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop and would like to
install an Ubuntu variant. It has the following specs: 256MB RAM, HDD is
18GB and its a P4mobile processor @ 1.6 GHz. I am currently running Windows
XP on it. and would like to dual-boot Linux. Would it be better to dual boot
or run linux on virtualization? Well, just like to mention the hard drive
clicks about once or twice every hour. I ran SpinRite on it and it detected
bad sectors at the end of the drive. But for some reason, this hasn't
affected Windows XP.

Now, the Toshiba Libretto 110ct is really old and I'm not expecting much out
of it. Would like to run Damn Small Linux if possible. It has the following
specs: Pentium MMX processor, 64MB RAM and only has a 500MB hard drive. This
is a tough cookie and if I can just get some suggestions by bringing it in,
as far as what Linux distro to run, then thats cool.