[clue-tech] Need lots of help at Installfest

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri May 15 21:18:13 MDT 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> It's also useful for brain-dead console capture to another machine. You
> tell your box that ttyS0 (or whatever it's called these days) is the
> console, then hook up to another box using a null-modem cable.

I've done that.  Headless server when I was doing things while ssh
wasn't running.

> Oh, I suppose it's worth asking what sort of capability they want from the
> serial port. If it's just simple comm with XON/XOFF flow control, that's
> just 3 wires; TX, RX, GND. If they want RTS/CTS flow control, I'd have to
> dig up how you cross the wires for a null-modem cable.

The armadillo book has a picture.  In the 2nd edition though it's
wrong--they have lines that short everything out on the back side of the
connectors.  I think it shows the crossover part on the front side
correctly though.