[clue-tech] kernel config file

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu May 21 22:43:16 MDT 2009

On Thu, 21 May 2009 07:57:14 -0700 (PDT), "mike havlicek"
<mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> said:

> I was just wondering why distributed kernels don't usually seem to enable
> config.gz in /proc.
> I think recently when I was messing with sidux it did. I usually enable
> it when I build. What is the danger? I have always suspected a danger
> with
> using the file in /boot as the end all authority:)

Total guess here...

It just eats up more RAM, so they turn it off by default, since /proc
isn't a real filesystem... it's just RAM.

I can think of some other "pseudo-security" reasons not to publicize the
running kernel's config in /proc to everyone on the box... but I'm not
sure they hold much water.  Once they're on the box... they could figure
it out in other ways.

Nate
--
  Nate Duehr