[clue-tech] Hard drive model number.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun May 24 11:06:11 MDT 2009

I have a drive that's probably going bad.  In order to find the right
diagnostics for it I want to know the model number.  But it isn't
convenient to look at the label on the case.

sudo /lib/udev/ata_id --export /dev/hda

tells me the model as well as the serial number.  udev is a pretty
useful thing, I'm glad the kernel folks gave it to us.  There's probably
even more stuff available in sysfs but I don't need that today.

Since man -k got me there quicker than Google I figured I'd mention it
in case anyone else has scratched his head about the same thing.

I guess if you know what you're looking for the model number is logged
during boot.  And you can find it in /proc/ide/hda/model.