[clue-tech] Hard drive model number.

Charles W Downing chuckdowning at earthlink.net
Sun May 24 11:25:49 MDT 2009

Here is what I did with Kubuntu 9.04, Jaunty, after diddling around a while:

charlesw at System76HR:~:11:18:50:$ sudo lshw -short | grep disk
/0/100/1f.1/0.0.0      /dev/cdrom  disk        DVD-RAM UJ-850S
/0/100/1f.2/0.0.0      /dev/sda    disk        250GB Hitachi HTS54252

The "HTS54252" is the model number for the hard drive in my System76
laptop.  This is a SATA hard drive, so, obviously, ata_id doesn't work.

Thanks for the man -k hint.

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> I have a drive that's probably going bad.  In order to find the right
> diagnostics for it I want to know the model number.  But it isn't
> convenient to look at the label on the case.
>
> sudo /lib/udev/ata_id --export /dev/hda
>
> tells me the model as well as the serial number.  udev is a pretty
> useful thing, I'm glad the kernel folks gave it to us.  There's
> probably even more stuff available in sysfs but I don't need that today.
>
> Since man -k got me there quicker than Google I figured I'd mention it
> in case anyone else has scratched his head about the same thing.
>
> I guess if you know what you're looking for the model number is logged
> during boot.  And you can find it in /proc/ide/hda/model.
>
> Dave

Chuck Downing
Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA