[clue-tech] mozilla-mplayer

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed May 27 20:55:30 MDT 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 20:41:54 -0600
David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Are the gnome dependencies really that big a deal?

Depends on how you look at things, I suppose. Despite HD space being dirt
cheap, I'm still of the opinion that code should be tight and efficient.
I suppose that's a holdover from programming in 4MB environments. Still,
I always flinch at the mass of cruft that gets pulled in -- stuff I'll
never use, such as infrared and bluetooth support. I find it doubly
annoying, because it's entirely possible for an app to use it if it's
there, and called for, and not complain if it ain't. I know that Sylpheed
is this way with the GNUPG stuff, and probably other libraries. Yeah, I
know, it takes some effort to write your code that way.

And it ain't just Gnome that does it. KDE is just as bad.

I just like a clean/tidy system environment. But, since I'm unwilling to
compile everything from scratch, I suppose I can't complain too loudly.

jed