[clue-tech] mozilla-mplayer

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed May 27 20:41:54 MDT 2009

Collins Richey wrote:
> FYI,
>
> If any of you are using mplayer on debian (iceweasel of course), you
> might have noticed that any attempt to view a movie trailer results in
> an immediate segfault and crash of iceweasel. I noticed this some time
> back and hoped that it might be fixed by maintenance, but that was two
> weeks back and no such luck.

Does this help? http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=527293

apple.com/trailers works for me.

> In typical FOSS fashion, the gurus-that-be have decided to abandon
> mozilla-mplayer, and the replacement is called gecko-mediaplayer.
> Said package drags in (sigh! typical) a bunch of gnome crepe but at
> least it works.

The Debian package is deprecated (but still there) because upstream
abandoned it.  Perhaps he died.  In FOSS fashion, just like in corporate
monopoly fashion, someone decided to stop doing voluntary work that was
useful to you.

I understand your frustration.  But poking FOSS in the eye hardly seems
just.  I don't understand why you want to blame that for your problem.

You could ask the Debian maintainer or the upstream why it was abandoned.

Are the gnome dependencies really that big a deal?  Otherwise it looks
like gecko-mediaplayer is a pretty close replacement.