[clue-tech] mozilla-mplayer

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Wed May 27 19:28:10 MDT 2009

FYI,

If any of you are using mplayer on debian (iceweasel of course), you
might have noticed that any attempt to view a movie trailer results in
an immediate segfault and crash of iceweasel. I noticed this some time
back and hoped that it might be fixed by maintenance, but that was two
weeks back and no such luck.

I tried reinstalling mplayer and tried to reinstall mozilla-mplayer
but the package was not found.

So, I started googling and found lots of reported problems but no
solution until I found the solution buried in an OT reponse to a
thread about the problem. The solution rendered the whole thread and
anything else I've read totally worthless. In typical FOSS fashion,
the gurus-that-be have decided to abandon mozilla-mplayer, and the
replacement is called gecko-mediaplayer. Said package drags in (sigh!
typical) a bunch of gnome crepe but at least it works.

On any other distro but sidux I probably would have heard about this
earlier, but idiotic German law forbids any discussion of a product
that could be used (horror of horrors) to render a DVD.

--
Collins Richey