[clue-tech] Ubuntu Karmic Koala

Louis Miller veganguy1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:26:08 MST 2009

*    I didn't like the software center. Maybe, it jammed up because the
repositories were overloaded with requests the first day, and that was why
it went so slowly. Then, the software center didn't want to update
information about each package and whether it was available. I think it is a
strange gimmick and I don't trust it.

    Some of the youtube videos described the Ubuntu Software Center as
eventually integrating add/remove, update manager and synaptic. But, beyond
that, it is supposed to incorporate software that you pay for. That really
gives me the creeps. I don't know what will happen with Lucid Lynx. It is
supposed to be a long-term release, and as such, it is supposed to be more
"hardy."

    All the splashy graphics really gave me the creeps. It reminded me of
Microsoft. That now they are trying to have a marketing strategy to appeal
to a different type of computer user, the computer illiterate, to eventually
become as easy to use as Apple. Maybe, that is a good thing. But, then if
Linux becomes really easy to use, eventually easier to use than Windows,
then being a Linux user will no longer be a badge of honor, and it won't
mean the person has been willing to put forth a tremendous amount of
frustration to get where they got now.

Louis Miller
*