[clue-tech] Mail server questions

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Nov 7 08:08:15 MST 2009

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:38:11 -0700
Matt Gushee wrote:

> 2) I'm planning to use Postfix for SMTP, but am not sure about
>      POP/IMAP. Recommendations?

FWIW, Dovecot as an IMAP server seems pretty easy to setup for IMAPS, if
you're wanting encrypted transport. If not, it does POP3 too, and allows
for various methods of authentication and encryption for both POP and
IMAP.

On the CLUE server, we use Postfix rules to weed out a lot of spam with
SMTP rejects, which is better than spending the bandwidth to receive it
and send it to /dev/null. After that, Spamassassin takes care of a good
lot of it, though it can still let a lot through, depending on how
conservative you get with rules and scores.

When I was working on getting Dovecot and Spamassassin set up for CLUE, I
tested using a 2nd box on my home network. A VM would work for that as
well.

jed
--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?