[clue-tech] Coffee shop wireless connection problem

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 8 01:13:09 MST 2009

Matt Gushee wrote:
> Anyway. What I am most interested in at this point is troubleshooting
> techniques. Given that my machine can see the access point, but I am
> either failing authentication or failing to get a DHCP lease, what if
> anything can I do to get more details about what exactly is happening?

Something in /var/log should show dhcpcd or dhclient sending requests.
It probably won't show a reply.  Wireshark should show the
same--requests go out, nothing comes back.

Beyond that you'd have to look on the AP side, which may not say
anything obvious via the web interface (though you might see the DHCP
requests on the wired part of it, if that's bridged to the wifi).

I've had problems like this.  Either wlan0 is lying when it says it's
associated or the problem is on the DHCP server side of things.  I
haven't had any access to investigate.