[SOLVED--sort of] Re: [clue-tech] Coffee shop wireless connection problem

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Nov 20 20:01:25 MST 2009

Matt Gushee wrote:

> I have this ASUS Eee netbook running Arch Linux (BTW, yeah, the keyboard
> is a bit small, but I love the extreme portability of it), which I use
> at various places around town. Now, it happens that at my favorite
> coffee shop I usually can't connect to the Net.

Well, I now have a little better idea of what's going on, and have found
a workaround.

It seems that some persistent data in /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf
was preventing me from connecting. I renamed that file and was able to
connect immediately with no trouble. I'm not entirely sure what setting
was causing the problem, but I'm thinking it might have been the PSK
(that's Pre-Shared Key, right?). For some reason, there was a PSK stored
for the relevant ESSID in the old file, but there is none in the newly
generated file.

I don't know if this is a bug in wicd, strictly speaking, but it
certainly isn't very friendly behavior. Seeing as WiFi networks,
especially in environments like coffee shops, change configurations
frequently, there ought to be some straightforward way to get rid of old
settings, but I haven't found it.

--
Matt Gushee