[clue-tech] Re: Grab your coat, it's still on!

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 21:46:09 MST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> There was a box that was having trouble after a new motherboard and video
> card failed to work with the old configuration.  That all got cleaned up I
> think.  Would have been nice to have Collins to help with the sidux part.

Sigh!

Collins had to work. A quick decent into RPM Hell. Several new
CentOS5.4 systems I put up have broken packeges ( == messed up
dependencies ). When you try to install httpd-devel, it drags in one
or mor broken packages. After screwing with this for 2 days (google
reported the problem, but no solutions on offer), I discovered that
removing all the httpd - apr set plus others dependent on these, then
reinstalling all plus httpd-devel seems to be the work-around.

Bummer. That's the second installfest in a row that I've missed.

Anyone with sidux problems can ping me any time. OTOH, any Debian
proficient person can work sidux. Just remember NEVER do an 'apt-get
[aptitude] upgrade'; always use 'dist-upgrade'. The developers claim
that 'upgrade' will eventually lead to a broken system. About the only
surface difference with sidux is the fact that the standard (IMO)
runlevels - 1 single user 3 non-graphical 5 graphical - are used
instead of the simplified Debian set.

--
Collins Richey