[clue-tech] Missing Synaptic [was Re: Grab your coat, it'sstill on!]

Christopher Cross g1ccross at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:49:59 MST 2009

So I went back and read all the comments on this problem and it is not going
anywhere. We need to see if synaptic is even installed and if it is not then
install it. The first thing to do would be to type synaptic on the command
line.

$ synaptic

If that does not work then it could be that it is not in your path so lets
try and type out the full path to synaptic. First lets look for it.

$ whereis synaptic

My laptop told me it is in /usr/sbin so I will try that if yours just
returned synaptic: then you may not have it or you may need to run updatedb
first. Because my laptop has it in /usr/sbin I will try and run it from
there.

$ /usr/sbin/synaptic

Did it work? If not then it is probably not installed. Lets check to see if
it is installed.

$ dpkg -s synaptic | grep Status

My laptop returned "Status: install ok installed". If yours does not try to
install it.

$ sudo apt-get install synaptic

My laptop says newest version is all ready installed. If you want to just do
a system update then type the following commands.

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

I hope that helps. If you still have questions just keep them coming.