[clue-tech] Keyboard recommendations

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Nov 30 12:06:43 MST 2009

Oh, and for conversational "purposes"...

Employer uses all IBM/Lenovo for laptops exclusively (some Dell for
desktops, but mostly IBM/Lenovo there too)... so at work I'm on a IBM
Model SK-8815 most of the day or the built-in keyboard on the laptop if
I'm "mobile" around the building.

At home on the "Windows machines" (via a KVM) I have a cool "Model M"
buckling spring type keyboard that includes a "nubby" mouse and mouse
buttons built into the keyboard.

(Yeah, I'm a nubby guy... and yes, I disable the trackpad on my IBM/work
laptop.  I love watching people try to use my laptop... they slide their
finger around on the trackpad and look at the screen with a "WTF is
wrong with this thing?!" type of look!  LOL!)

On the Macs, the "chicklet" keyboards work fine, and remind me of my old
1984 vintage Tandy Color Computer I.  :-) :-P  I actually like that feel
if I MUST have a "squishy" keyboard, make the throws SHORT and the
bottoms able to handle my pounding typing style without bouncing back
and giving me rebound injuries.  LOL.

On the MacBook, it's usually REALLY in my lap (or on a lapdesk) and I
don't add the mouse, but I've gotten REALLY attached to two-finger
"gesture" scrolling, etc... on that trackpad.  Probably the only machine
I've ever felt the trackpad wasn't a pain in the butt.  It's an original
Macbook, so I don't think I can do three-finger and four-finger stuff,
but I'll figure that out someday when I upgrade it...

On the iMac (my wife's), the Apple wireless mouse and wireless keyboard
are on it because it sits on the coffee table... and that's what it came
with.  They work, but that mouse isn't my "favorite".  Tempted to put
one of those new Apple touch/gesture mice on it just to see how it
works... but it might drive my wife nuts.

The only keyboard I liked but just really couldn't get "used to" and get
my speed up was the Sun keyboards around the Ultra V days, and beyond.
Those things are long-throw, but "squishy" and that drives me nuts.  :-)

--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com