[clue-tech] Virtual machine networking problem with samba

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:30:30 MST 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009 09:10:25 am Jim Ockers wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Instead of the name "babbage" could you try connecting to the samba
> server's IP address?  This will tell you if the problem is basic network
> connectivity or just a browsing/name resolution problem.
>
> That is, type "net use \\172.16.1.x\sharename" instead of "net use
> \\babbage\sharename" .

Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately, using the ip address directly does not help.
But I can ping both both ips from the vm and the vm from the host. I allow
ports 137-139.

If the samba server is  192.168.1.1 and tap0 is 172.16.1.1:

Samba host ip,
Doesn't Work:	net use \\192.168.1.2\share
Tap ip:
Doesn't Work:	net use \\172.16.1.1\share

> If that works, then you can try adding babbage to
> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file

The odd part is that I it sometimes allows connections to the samba server
from the xp vm box, and sometimes it cannot even find babbage. This is even if
I am sitting at home and babbage, the server, has a static ip.
I also have already tried adding babbage to the hosts file on the xp  vm box
(and restarting)

> nmbd (netbios name daemon, part of samba) problem, probably by fixing the
> samba configuration file or else some firewall rule that should be
> allowing nmbd broadcast traffic but isn't.

I started down this path.... but I don't remember if It was a dead end or not.
I will look into it. It is quite possible my firewall rule is blocking nmbd
traffic, as I am not specifically allowing for it. Thank you.

Michael Irons