[clue-tech] Virtual machine networking problem with samba

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Nov 30 13:23:21 MST 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Irons wrote:
> On Monday 30 November 2009 09:10:25 am Jim Ockers wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Instead of the name "babbage" could you try connecting to the samba
>> server's IP address?  This will tell you if the problem is basic network
>> connectivity or just a browsing/name resolution problem.
>>
>> That is, type "net use \\172.16.1.x\sharename" instead of "net use
>> \\babbage\sharename" .
>>

> Thanks Jim,
>
> Unfortunately, using the ip address directly does not help.
> But I can ping both both ips from the vm and the vm from the host. I allow
> ports 137-139.
>
> If the samba server is  192.168.1.1 and tap0 is 172.16.1.1:
>
> Samba host ip,
> Doesn't Work:	net use \\192.168.1.2\share
> Tap ip:
> Doesn't Work:	net use \\172.16.1.1\share

What does it mean "doesn't work" ?  What error message do you get?  Just
because you don't get a drive mapping doesn't mean there isn't useful
information in the error message, so you should try to include as much
information as possible when asking for help.

 From your client then could you please try these commands:

telnet 192.168.1.2 139
telnet 192.168.1.2 445
telnet 172.16.1.1 139
telnet 172.16.1.1 445

If those ports can not be connected-to then the problem is firewall
rules on your samba server.  If those ports CAN be connected to, then
try "net view \\192.168.1.2" or "net view \\172.16.1.1" and let us know
what you get, including error messages if you don't get a share list.