[clue-tech] how do I get gnome desktop to host x sessions from remote servers?

David Williams dkwloki-clue at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 10:29:42 MDT 2009

Hey Guys,

Want to host X sessions on my Ubuntu desktop from remote servers.
I can successfully do this when I run an X server in windows but not sure how to make this work in Linux.

When I run an X using application on my server I get:
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I have exported my DISPLAY variable and this works fine for Windows but not Linux.

When I start my X server in windows I have to use 'X -ac' or I am unable to host.

Any suggestions of what to correct or where to start looking?

Thanks,
-David