[clue-tech] how do I get gnome desktop to host x sessions from remote servers?

Bruce Ediger bediger at inlumineconsulting.com
Thu Oct 8 10:49:59 MDT 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, David Williams wrote:

> When I run an X using application on my server I get:
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> I have exported my DISPLAY variable and this works fine for Windows but not Linux.

The X server has to (a) listen for connections on well known TCP port 6000,
and (b) allow those connections.

If I understand correctly:

1. On Ubuntu box running X server:
 	xhost +
That should allow all hosts to connect to X server

2. On some other box:

 	export DISPLAY=ubuntu_hostname;0.0
 	xterm

The xterm should show up on the Ubuntu boxes screen.

Firewalls or NAT can get in the way, too.