[clue-tech] how do I get gnome desktop to host x sessions from remote servers?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Oct 13 21:17:29 MDT 2009

David Williams wrote:
> Yes, I did set the DISPLAY variable on my remote host to the IP of my
> desktop followed by a ':0.0'.  I used export in my ssh session to set
> the variable, that should be enough yes?

When you use ssh, you should use -X or ForwardX11.  Then it will set
DISPLAY correctly and remote X clients will display locally.

If you set DISPLAY in the usual way the remote clients will try to
contact your local server on port 6000-ish, which is the problem you're
having.

> Not sure if the ':0.0' does something with the port addressing, does
> it?

0.0 is the display number.  Usually the first X server to run is display
0.  .0 is the left screen and .1 is the right (if you have two).  If you
run another server it will be display 1, and will use a different port
than 6000.  But X will probably figure out the right port for you.  (And
you don't need to worry about it at all if you're using X11 forwarding.)

Dave