[clue-tech] This guy won't be checking in at ubunturocks.org

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Oct 20 18:31:00 MDT 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:07:38 -0600
Collins Richey wrote:

> http://www.fewt.com/2009/10/i-give-up.html

That isn't the first such thing I've read, and it won't be the last
either. It's difficult, not being in the thick of ACPI or driver or
whatever low-level development, to have a feel for how legitimate his
gripes are. But there certainly are times when it seems that some distros
are pushing things out too early. Pulseaudio comes to mind. KDE4 as well.

I know there's a mindset at work which advocates for releasing things in
order to get more bug reports. And, especially if there aren't very many
people out there doing beta testing with {thing}, be that an EeePC or a
new soundcard or whatever, there's some point where I guess you just send
it out. If you aren't getting bug reports, and it works for you, or even
if it doesn't 100% work but it's "good enough", then what? Using sound
cards as an example, the Alsa (?) wiki has a table showing what is/isn't
supported on particular cards.

I've noticed kernel API churn mentioned more than a few times. Today, I'm
reading an interview with an Nvidia guy:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_qa_linux&num=7

Same sort of story, except they aren't giving up.

While generally Linux hardware support is impressive, when you have the
thing that isn't working well, it's irritating.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?