[clue-tech] This guy won't be checking in at ubunturocks.org

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Oct 20 22:57:34 MDT 2009

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> I've noticed kernel API churn mentioned more than a few times.

I wonder whether that's intentional.  I heard a kernel hacker say what
sounded like, "We change the API every week so the out-of-kernel drivers
won't work.  But all the in kernel drivers are handled automagically."
I'm sure that's not very accurate but if you're doing drivers outside
the kernel they don't care what your problems are.

> While generally Linux hardware support is impressive, when you have the
> thing that isn't working well, it's irritating.

The place I've seen that is new hardware.  Installfest turns up some
hardware that isn't well supported yet.  Last time I saw a ethernet NIC
that required a firmware blob.  Sad.