[clue-tech] 2.6.18 (CentOS 5.x) kernel initialize IDE drives in UDMA2 mode?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Wed Sep 2 17:14:42 MDT 2009

Hi CLUEbies,

For various very important reasons we have to run our Linux systems with
CentOS 5.x with all IDE drives in UDMA2 (or slower) mode.  Of course the
2.6 kernel IDE device driver, the chipset on our motherboard, and the
drives, all support UDMA5 or UDMA6 and autonegotiate the fastest speed
they support when the driver initializes the drive.

When we try to use hdparm to change it back to UDMA2 (hdparm -d 1 -X
udma2 /dev/hdX) we occasionally get errors.  We think there are some
timing issues in hdparm and possibly the kernel, and probably the IDE
drive firmware too.  We have a dizzying variety of chipsets/motherboards
and hard drives and depending on the combination of those (and whether
or not we have a 40 pin or 80 pin IDE cable) we occasionally get errors
like this:

hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ide0: Drive 0 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.
hda: CHECK for good STATUS

AND THEN DMA IS DISABLED WHICH IS REALLY BAD FOR OUR SYSTEMS.  Please
don't suggest that the drives are bad because we have exhaustive drive
tests and all drives which fail this way pass all the tests.

We also tried booting the kernel with ide=nodma and then one of the
first init scripts turns on UDMA2.  This makes the above error happen a
lot less often (maybe 95% less) but it still happens repeatably from
time to time.

I think that trying to set the DMA mode after initialization is maybe
not a good idea.  If we could make the 2.6.18 IDE driver start up in
UDMA2 mode instead of the default fastest mode that might sidestep the
problem altogether.  Does anyone in CLUEland know what is the fastest
way to do this?  By the way the IDE driver in the CentOS 5.x kernel
(2.6.18) is not a module.  My googling has not turned up anything and
there is no kernel command line option for the IDE driver that does this.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)