[clue-tech] 2.6.18 (CentOS 5.x) kernel initialize IDE drives in UDMA2 mode?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Sep 2 19:37:33 MDT 2009

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Hi CLUEbies,
>
> For various very important reasons we have to run our Linux systems with
> CentOS 5.x with all IDE drives in UDMA2 (or slower) mode.  Of course the
> 2.6 kernel IDE device driver, the chipset on our motherboard, and the
> drives, all support UDMA5 or UDMA6 and autonegotiate the fastest speed
> they support when the driver initializes the drive.

For such a specific (and rare, as in most people say "who cares?")
configuration it might be worth standardizing on hardware that works.

It might be worth offering money to a kernel hacker to fix it.  It might
be worth asking Red Hat to support your needs and then switching to RHEL.

> When we try to use hdparm to change it back to UDMA2 (hdparm -d 1 -X
> udma2 /dev/hdX) we occasionally get errors.
> AND THEN DMA IS DISABLED WHICH IS REALLY BAD FOR OUR SYSTEMS.

Can you use hdparm to enable it again, at least?

If you *have* to run in UDMA2 then you *have* to pitch the systems that
don't work.

> I think that trying to set the DMA mode after initialization is maybe
> not a good idea.
> By the way the IDE driver in the CentOS 5.x kernel
> (2.6.18) is not a module.  My googling has not turned up anything and
> there is no kernel command line option for the IDE driver that does this.

I don't know which version it's for, but this:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

says you can use libata.force to set UDMA 2.  Doesn't it?

HTH,