[clue-tech] Fwd: My next desktop ==> server with virtualization

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 10 11:41:59 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:52 -0600, NOPE9 wrote:
> #1   The ATOM package seems to have a max memory of 2G.
> Do you think that is sufficient ?
> #2  The quad core for $300..... was this a complete box with 1.75 TB ?
> How much memory did it have ?

I recently put together 4 boxes at work specifically to run as VM hosts
systems.  They have a quad-core AMD Phenom 2.4GHz, 8GB memory, an 80GB
hard disk (VMs are being stored on an NFS server) and the motherboard
has nVidia GeForce 8200 graphics (overkill for our needs but nice to
have).

Individually, each box (including disk, moutherboard, CPU, memory, power
supply and case) ran about $300.  They run beautifully and because they
support paravirtualization in the hardware the VM's are quite
responsive.  I've only run two at once so far, but the goal is to run
4-16 VMs per box.

If anyone wants the specs for these boxes I can email you the NewEgg
wishlist for it (contact me directly).

Hmmm - just noticed that the AMD Phenom 9600 I purchased for these is
listed out of stock.  My guess is that you can find a reasonable
substitute.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org