[clue-tech] Qwest ISP

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 10:57:41 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
> I don't get that - why would you have to use Qwest? That sounds wrong to
> me, but then again, maybe the 3rd party ISPs can't handle the bandwidth
> levels or something.  I'd give up faster speeds to keep the 3rd party ISP
> I use now, that's for sure.

AFAIK...The incumbent local exchange carrier (e.g. Qwest) is required
by FCC regulation to allow their competitors to rent the DSL lines and
sell service over those lines.  This regulation exists in exchange for
federal subsidies to roll out the service in the first place and as a
way to mitigate the natural monopoly in telecommunications industries.

Fiber (and other means of carrying data) don't have these kinds of
restrictions.  So, Qwest says you have to use them because they own
the fiber and they don't want to share the profits.

--
Greg Knaddison | 303-800-5623 | http://growingventuresolutions.com
Cracking Drupal - Learn to protect your Drupal site from hackers