[clue-tech] Qwest ISP

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Sep 11 13:25:08 MDT 2009

This is correct.  Copper DSL is a Regulated service under the Colorado
PUC.  New fiber plants, aren't.

Similar to Verizon rolling out FIOS along the Eastern Seaboard.  In many
cases, even though they're not supposed to, Verizon techs have been seen
cutting or otherwise purposely damaging the copper DEMARC going into a
residence, as they install FIOS service, making it a customer-paid
repair job to reconnect the copper entrance if they ever want to "leave"
the captive Verizon FIOS fiber service.

Those that I've talked to who took the plunge and bought it, have
enjoyed the speeds, low latency, etc.  In Verizon territory, FIOS also
can carry digital TV service (albeit compressed, but who isn't other
than the real broadcasters themselves, who are the only people
transmitting the "full" 14 Mb/s HDTV signals), and at least one
acquaintance has that and thinks it's "good".

Not sure what Qwest is offering.  Where are you that they've already
laid fiber?  Are you in Highlands Ranch?  They did a "pilot program"
there many years ago, and it's one of the only locations I know for sure
they have residential fiber to the curb.  They're WAY behind on that,
compared to the East coast.

Anyway, if you value competition, copper is the only way to get/keep it
right now.  I figure *eventually* the PUC will step in, Qwest will whine
that they footed the entire bill for the fiber, government/politics will
get involved, government will "pay off" Qwest for their investment, and
open the fiber back up... but that'll take a decade and some REALLY bad
service from Qwest to trigger the politics.

Otherwise, the other prediction... folks won't know that switching to a
FTTC service locks them into a single vendor, or won't really care...
and Verizon and Qwest's "play" to get total control of their outside
plant again for a captive monopoly audience, will work.

Hard to say which way it will go... but those are the options.

--
  Nate Duehr
  nate at natetech.com