[clue-tech] Command line mass-tagging for Ogg files?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Sep 24 18:29:45 MDT 2009

I'm looking for the Ogg Vorbis equivalent to mp3info.

With mp3info, I can do:

cd /path/to/band
find . -name \*mp3 -exec mp3info -a 'Name of Band'

and quickly normalize / correct / supply the artist name. (Discovering
that I've used 3 different spellings is embarrasing, and messes with
collection-based media players.) Same thing for genre, which I wasn't
using in tags at all for a while (and which I want to correct, in many
cases).

I can find various Ogg tagging programs, but the ones in the ogg packages
I can find, e.g. oggz-comment and vorbiscomment, don't seem to want to
just rewrite the file adding only the specified tag. I've verified this
with vorbiscomment. The manpage for oggz-comment isn't too helpful, and
I'm not hopeful.

FWIW, I've also looked around in CPAN, but the package documentation for
what I've looked at is rather obtuse.

I use kid3 for GUI tag manipulation, but it isn't callable from the
command line to do mass operations.

jed