[clue-tech] SFD hot wash.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Sep 26 19:39:26 MDT 2009

Our Software Freedom Day celebration (a.k.a. installfest) was a big
success.  We had over 20 people, which may be a record since we started
going to DeVry.

There were at least 4 people who hadn't ever used Linux--they put the
install in installfest.  One was from the S&P help desk.  They have a
service that uses FTP and a database and she wanted to be able to answer
questions from their Linux customers.  She was installing into VMWare
Desktop, which recognized the Ubunutu CD and answered all the install
questions for us.  Slick (though what she really needed was RHEL, which
S&P should be able to provide).  I encouraged her to get in touch with
Jeff Cann.

We got a Fedora/Ubuntu dual boot set up but I didn't see the details.
We discovered that a type of netbook requires a new kernel to make the
wireless Just Work.  We discovered an Acer laptop whose wireless Just
Worked but wired wasn't supported (and lspci didn't list it either,
strange).  As you'd expect a newer kernel will support both.

Lot's of other neat things were done that I didn't get details on.
Looked like everyone had fun.

We did Free Lunch again (hey Willson, we should trademark that).  Not
only did everyone get pizza, I have $25 to spend on USB<->PS2 adapters
(some hardware is coming without PS2 now), DVD blanks, and maybe some
patch cables.  (The web page is updated so others can learn from our
experience.)  Thanks to everyone who contributed in whatever way you did!

So if I left out something you found memorable feel free to follow up
and let everyone know.  Next 'fest in Nov up north, eh?