[clue-tech] Time configuration Ubuntu

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 12:19:15 MDT 2010

Hello All,

I have gotten myself a bit confused with time configuration on an Ubuntu
based system. The system has been constructed from dumps of a virtual machine running jeos-8.04 LTS (hardy). That VM adjusts system time Mountain from a hardware clock set to UTC. When loaded on the target laptop whose clock is local Mountain the ubuntu adjusts time -6 and  and I have managed to cluster things up using hwclock --localtime --set --date XX:XX plus copying /usr/share/zoneinfo/MST7MDT to /etc/localtime (I think I did the copy first ... I was pretty tired at the time). Anyway I also frantically
tried dpkg-reconfigure tzdata:

builder at jeos-n900:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default timezone: 'America/Denver'
Local time is now:      Fri Apr  2 05:22:37 MDT 2010.
Universal Time is now:  Fri Apr  2 11:22:37 UTC 2010.

But actually what is listed UTC is MDT.

Also:

builder at jeos-n900:~$ hwclock --show
Fri 02 Apr 2010 05:25:28 AM MDT  -0.391501 seconds
builder at jeos-n900:~$

But the BIOS prior to booting into this session showed the time
as 6 hours ahead of what that hwclock command displays....

So I am wondering what I should have done to properly move this system
from hardware that uses UTC to localtime. But more concerned with how to
reconfigure this system to correctly track and report time with the BIOS clock set to Mountain value after having clustered it to the state described above.

Thanks,

-Mike

As the laptop also boots into windows which does time correctly I don't want to mess with using UTC value in the BIOS... which may or may not
"fix" the jeos time ...

Where is the checkbox for "system clock uses UTC" in ubuntu-desktop?:)