[clue-tech] Time configuration Ubuntu

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri Apr 2 13:10:41 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 11:19 -0700, mike havlicek wrote:

> I have gotten myself a bit confused with time configuration on an Ubuntu
> based system. The system has been constructed from dumps of a virtual machine running jeos-8.04 LTS (hardy). That VM adjusts system time Mountain from a hardware clock set to UTC. When loaded on the target laptop whose clock is local Mountain the ubuntu adjusts time -6 and  and I have managed to cluster things up using hwclock --localtime --set --date XX:XX plus copying /usr/share/zoneinfo/MST7MDT to /etc/localtime (I think I did the copy first ... I was pretty tired at the time). Anyway I also frantically
> tried dpkg-reconfigure tzdata:
>
> builder at jeos-n900:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
>
> Current default timezone: 'America/Denver'
> Local time is now:      Fri Apr  2 05:22:37 MDT 2010.
> Universal Time is now:  Fri Apr  2 11:22:37 UTC 2010.
>
> But actually what is listed UTC is MDT.
>
> Also:
>
> builder at jeos-n900:~$ hwclock --show
> Fri 02 Apr 2010 05:25:28 AM MDT  -0.391501 seconds
> builder at jeos-n900:~$
>
> But the BIOS prior to booting into this session showed the time
> as 6 hours ahead of what that hwclock command displays....
>
> So I am wondering what I should have done to properly move this system
> from hardware that uses UTC to localtime. But more concerned with how to
> reconfigure this system to correctly track and report time with the BIOS clock set to Mountain value after having clustered it to the state described above.

This is a little hard to follow, could you reboot and repost the
following:

1. what time does the BIOS of the host hardware say?

2. on the host OS (Linux) what is the output of:

# hwclock
# hwclock --utc

3. In your VM, running on the host, show us the values for #2's hwclock.

# hwclock
# hwclock --utc

4. output of something like /etc/sysconfig/clock (fedora/redhat)

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux, Unix and Database Administration