[clue-tech] Data recovery recommendations?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sun Aug 8 11:34:39 MDT 2010

Hi Sean,

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> I have a co-worker who has a Mac that had (what sounds like) an epic
> failure. Any thoughts on what steps they might take? Any local expertise to
> recommend on where they can take the machine to have the data recovered?
>
> I thought about trying to help out myself via Knoppix or the like, but I'm
> not sure I want to do that. From what I understand,the drive itself is making
> serious noises, and actually running it normally may cause even more damage?

I've seen several helpful replies on this list including a place or two
that you could probably take it to and they would help you out. I've
done several successful data recoveries over the years, not to the level
of electron microscope or full drive disassembly of course, but
effective enough for my purposes. Here is what I would try if I was
doing this project:

1. Obtain a Linux computer with a kernel that can read the mac partition
table and filesystems and a spare drive interface port. Hopefully it is
SATA so it's easier than IDE or SCSI.
2. Install the drive in the Linux computer on one of the spare
interfaces. Boot the system normally.
3. Observe the kernel messages pertaining to the Mac drive. Can the
controller see it? Does it show up on a bus scan? Does it have a
readable partition table?
4. Read the partition table with fdisk -l
5. If the drive is SATA or IDE try to get the SMART diagnostics and see
what the drive is reporting.

If neither 4 or 5 works then the drive is majorly pooched, and the next
2 steps are irrelevant.

6. Try to mount the data partition with the appropriate filesystem and
mount options.
7. Maybe obtain (download?) a Mac filesystem repair utility if it seems
to have errors. For Windows systems I've used UBCDWIN (ultimate boot CD
for Windows) for some fairly low level file recovery on bad/failing
disks with significantly damaged filesystems.
8. ???
9. Profit!

If the drive is majorly pooched, your options depend on the nature of
the problem. I had one failed drive that was very old and the stepper
motor that spins the platters was weak and couldn't start the platters
spinning. Once they were spinning it was fine, it just couldn't start
them spinning. Of course the drive had important files on it that either
weren't backed up or the backup was bad or something, I don't remember.
Anyway I took the housing off the drive and powered it on with the drive
guts exposed to air, and then I started the platters spinning with my
finger. I could see the surface of the platters starting to change color
and also I wasn't in a clean room so I hastily copied the files of the
disk as quickly as I could before it got contaminated with dust or
whatever else was going wrong. It worked and I got the files back! This
is probably not the recommended procedure but it worked for me, YMMV lol.

If you can hear the platters spinning up then maybe the problem is
something else. If you have nothing really to lose by opening the case
maybe you can see what's wrong once the drive is open, and help
something move with your finger (head, platters, whatever) if it's
stuck. Work fast though!

Good luck,
Jim

--