[clue-tech] Online meetings

Nate Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Wed Dec 22 19:20:56 MST 2010

LiveMeeting. Works but nothing all that great about it. Winderz of course. Probably of little interest here.

Also my own company's "content" channel which is a one-way push of a second channel of "video" along with the main videoconference video channel. Can come over IP from a PC running Winderz to a "traditional" H.323 endpoint (room-based). Usually used for PowerPoint slides. Also works. (Disclaimer: I work for Polycom.). Also have CMA Desktop which does the video and content channels from a single PC but requires a server ($$$). That one's Windows & Mac only. And PVX which is standalone Windows-only.

WebEx is by far my favorite "collaboration" platform, mostly because they have iPhone and iPad versions that work darn well, "free". Quite cross-platform. Owned by Cisco so they're gold-plated price-wise. See below for more Cisco.

A fully-integrated Microsoft OCS implementation mixing audio, video, and LiveMeeting plus integration to room-based systems is really really nice too. You'll only find it inside companies that spent the capital on it and are serious about it. And again, uhh... Winderz.

Cisco "Telepresence" branded stuff maybe too, but since they're a direct competitor after buying Tandberg, and still struggling to integrate Tandberg's tech, it has some warts. And I'm not in direct contact with it, nor un-biased. ;-)

For one-machine to one-machine, Crossloop works. Not sure if they have Linux support though.

Sorry, not much help was I? Hmm. Since moving to Mac for desktops I kinda have no good input on what works in that "space" (as the Marketing folks call it) these days.

Might see if the folks at freeconferencecall.com are partnered with anyone for collaboration tools. They're Denver-based.

I guess I'm going to have to research what's out there for Linux. Sigh.

Nate Duehr, denverpilot at me.com