[clue-tech] SWITCHING DISPLAY MANAGERS FROM TERMINAL?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Dec 26 10:46:08 MST 2010

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 02:14:01 -0700
Tony M. Davis wrote:

> I'm a newbie and have no idea how to get my desktop back to Gnome.  I
> did research and have managed to figure out how to get the terminal up,
> but can't find the command that would switch me back to Gnome.  Can I
> even change it from the terminal?  If not there, where?  Any help would
> be appreciated.

Getting a console login is a good thing to know how to do. So login as
yourself, and then edit .dmrc using vim or emacs (likely you have vim
there on a fresh install). Just 2 lines in this file, such as:

[Desktop]
Session=Fvwm

Yours likely says 'Session=KDE', so you'd just change that to Gnome.

--
Ok, so we should be thinking of a lovable, cuddly, stuffed penguin
sitting down after having gorged itself on herring. Still with me?