[clue-tech] help with: "fifo: Permission denied" when using acpi_fakekey as non-root

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Thu Feb 11 10:47:59 MST 2010

I opened and read /etc/acpi/volupbtn.sh on my ubuntu box.  I see it
uses acpi_fakekey as you say.
I then checked if acpi_fakekey has a man page to see if any clues were
buried  there.
in that man page I found that it used fifos (aka named pipes) in /dev/input/

And that the event numbers are defined in /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants
I find that

grep KEY_VOLUMEUP /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants
KEY_VOLUMEUP=115

So the fifo in question is /dev/input/event115 in my case.

But this all begs the real question which is why are these fifos not
writable by the acpid daemon.
I suspect some boot time failure or misconfiguration when acpid is
started at boot time.
so I then started looking in /etc/init.d/acpid for more clues when my
gumption ran out.

Maybe some of this research will be helpful to you.