[clue-tech] patching Linux kernel

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 14 12:41:05 MST 2010

Jason Ash wrote:
> When I cd into the linux-2.6.32.7 and issue the command bzip2 -dc
> /usr/src/patch-2.6.32.8.bz2 | patch -p1 --dry-run as suggested at
> http://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/HowToApplyAPatch, the output is:
>
> patching file Documentation/Changes
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>
> I'm not sure what to answer here, and whether or not it's using the
> symlink in the /usr/src directory.

It isn't using the symlink.  Forget it, it doesn't matter.

I tried what you did and got the same message.  It means that changes in the patch already exist in
your 2.6.32.7 tree.

In the FAQ it says you can use scripts/patch-kernel to apply standard patches, so I tried that and got:

Current kernel version is 2.6.32.7 ( Man-Eating Seals of Antiquity)
backing up to: 2.6.32
cannot find patch file: patch-2.6.32.7

So I assume the 2.6.32.8 patch is created against 2.6.32 and not 2.6.32.7.  You should go figure
that out, because applying a patch to something other than what it was made against probably
requires some thought (especially in this case).

But it's likely that if you put the 2.6.32.7 patch next to your 2.6.32.8 patch then the patch-kernel
script will take care of things for you (you may have to unzip them first, mine was unzipped when I
ran the script).  (You should also read how to run it as by default it might use your symlink and do
something you didn't want.)