[clue-tech] Boot time comparison

Jason Ash wizardofki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 22:06:30 MST 2010

So, I finally got around to comparing boot times for my customized (C)
vs. stock (S) kernels with a stopwatch. The time was started as soon
as enter was pressed on the Grub menu, and stopped once the login
prompt appeared. If speed of booting is all you are worried about,
then it's not even worth the hours it takes to compile as the
difference is only a couple of seconds. My laptop  is a 1.5 GHz
celeron M with 1M of cache (400MHz FSB) and 1GB of 333MHz DDR ram. My
spare desktop is a 2.8GHz pentium 4 prescott with 1M of cache (533MHz
FSB) and 1GB of 266MHz DDR ram. I'll compare with boot charts later.
Here's the boot times taken with a stopwatch:

Laptop running Ubuntu 9.10:
S = 51.00s
C = 47.81s

Desktop running Ubuntu 9.10: