[clue-tech] Boot time comparison

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Mon Feb 15 19:36:06 MST 2010

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:06 -0700, "Jason Ash" <wizardofki at gmail.com>
wrote:
> So, I finally got around to comparing boot times for my customized (C)
> vs. stock (S) kernels with a stopwatch. The time was started as soon
> as enter was pressed on the Grub menu, and stopped once the login
> prompt appeared. If speed of booting is all you are worried about,
> then it's not even worth the hours it takes to compile as the
> difference is only a couple of seconds.

I hope you weren't expecting a big difference. According to the experts
(whoever they are) it's been quite some time since compiling a kernel
was worthwhile from a performance standpoint--at least on a typical x86
PC. But cheers to you for taking the time to actually find out.

I used to compile a lot of kernels back in the day--mainly for running
on laptops where much of the hardware wouldn't work with a stock kernel.
These days the only reason I compile is to have good soft realtime
performance for apps like MIDI sequencers.

--
Matt Gushee
matt at gushee.net