[clue-tech] directions to music players

chris fedde chris at fedde.us
Mon Jan 4 09:07:40 MST 2010

I'm pretty happy with rhythmbox.  I was able to figure out how to get
it to rip CD's pretty much by just clicking around.  The other players
also rip content but as with lots of the open source software the
documentation level is frequently a bit incomplete.

One place where most of these tools fall down is on how they deal with
albums that are not in the CDDB ( http://www.gracenote.com/).
Rhythmbox  for example create an album called "unknown" and give the
tracks names like "track-1" with no tagging.   This means that new
"unknown" stuff hides older "unknown" stuff in the UI.

Most of the time even obscure stuff is found in the CDDB. But there
are exceptions.  This Christmas my daughter got a set of audio books
that were not in the CDDB.  Adding tags or adding them to the CDDB is
pretty easy but I have not found the time and so she cannot yet listen
to these items on her cheap sansa player.