[clue-tech] Gentoo

Shawn Perry redmop924 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 4 13:29:10 MST 2010

I rather enjoyed Gentoo.  It used less power on my laptop, and was faster on
my desktop, and only installed EXACTLY what I wanted.

The only reason I switched to Ubuntu was because it would be easier to
"sell" to customers, and I believe I should use what I sell.

After the initial install, upgrading was easy, and and not time consuming at
all (I did it in the background while I used my computer).

I actually spend about the same amount of time maintaining my Ubuntu
install, due to liking to keep the newest version installed.

Ubuntu 32 is designed to run on an i386 processor, but it's optimized for
i686.  If you're running it on a Q6600, the speed can be notable.  There is
much less of a speed increase on the 64 bit side of things, so it's rarely
worth it.

Shawn