[clue-tech] Gentoo

Michael Irons michael.irons at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:34:06 MST 2010

I also used Gentoo for many years before switching to kubuntu.

I loved gentoo, It was easy to maintain, highly configurable, but time
consuming.

I switched due to the fact that I was working full time and going to school
full time. I needed a system, that I could get anything going in 10 minutes,
and without worrying about compiling in all the right flags, and then
waiting. In Gentoos' defense though: Building most things from source
(through portage) took just a little more time then compared to installing
the binaries. (Most packages an extra few seconds. Big packages such as X
and KDE took quite a while: 3 days for KDE on my PII system).

About the time I left gentoo, they were starting to introduce binary
packages (like Openoffice) through portage which would allow you to just
download a "everyday binary build of the package" for software that usually
did not need extra config for most users. I don't know what happened to that
though, if it is still alive, or if it really helps....

I now find myself loathing ubuntu, as it often makes me jump through some
goofy hoops to get simple changes done for packages that ubuntu compiles the
wrong way for my purposes. This is stuff at which gentoo excelled.

For example, I still have to recompile my laptop kernel do to fix a
bug/non-standard ubuntu config  in both ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 that does not
allow my laptop power supply to be recongized. If I don't recompile, my
machine laptop happily puts itself to sleep since it thinks it is only on
battery power. It takes simple change in the actual kernel config, but
ubuntu's kernel rebuild process is a nightmare.

I find myself yearning for the time when I can go back to gentoo. I have a
feeling/fear I may  wander among the distros for quite a while as none are
perfect balance that I want

Anyway, just my rambling 2 cents

Mike Irons